Tuesday, November 13, 2007

poor lily

for those of you who haven't heard my little girl has been pretty sick lately. she's always been a decently colicy baby,(which has always been blown off by her docs) but since her shots last week its gotten much worse. she has had several times where she has screamed for hours. yesterday we were in bakersfield and her grandma babysat her while we had a date and went shopping. she screamed basically the whole time, but the worse thing is that she has been refusing to eat often, and when she is sick she pulls away from me and screams out as if in fear of eating. in the past i brought up the possibility of her having reflux, since it runs strongly in both mine and seths families, but of course the doc insisted it was simply colic. anyway back to bakersfield, my mother-in-law dealt with her two daughters reflux as babies and knew automatically what it was and when she wasn't getting better after a couple of hours gave her a couple of drops of an antacid that is approved for babies and within minutes she was smiling and talking, just loving life. it broke my heart to see my daughter in so much pain. i think for the first time since lily's birth i worried about her future... i hope that her illness isn't as severe as her aunts who have both had surgery and are on medications. i hoped she had gotten my genes when it came to health instead of the women of seths family, (no offense to them if they read this) anyway this is a jumbled blog, mainly because i haven't pieced it all together in my mind yet. i hurt for my little girl... but i guess that's part of being a parent and loving someone so much. she has an appt on thurs and i will not walk out of there without a perscription. keep her in your prayers and we will all hope this simply passes with time, or at least we can give her some comfort from her pain.

4 comments:

Katie said...

Lindsey,

That really sucks. I am so sorry. I hate to tell you, but sometimes Dr's can be really stupid about babies. You really really need to do a lot of research yourself. I thought Gabe had reflux too because he was refusing to eat sometimes and had projectile vomiting. Once I stopped drinking milk, he got way better. Also, I had to make sure he was getting enough hind milk instead of foremilk. I am not saying that this is necessarily what it is, but look some stuff up. Reflux and milk allergies can look very similar, and milk allergies can even cause more severe reflux.

Katie said...

Oh, and I don't like the idea that your Dr is saying it is colic. True Colic is actually pretty rare, and usually there IS a cause for crying like that.

Ashley said...

I was also going to mention that you should make sure she is getting enough hind milk. With Rae, she would get so gassy because my milk came out so fast and so she would stop nursing before she got any hind milk. And then she'd hungry 15 minutes later and I would put her on the other boob and she'd get more foremilk and more gas. She would pull away from me in pain and refuse to nurse. I couldn't figure it out until she had blood in her stool (even then I really didn't figure it out, but when it started happening with Blaise I put all the pieces together) If she's drinking pumped milk it might be too much foremilk. And remember that a lot of crying causes gas and so she might need to be comforted in some other way (like carrying her around in the sling) for a while before she is ready to nurse. And just because that medicine seemed to work I wouldn't jump to the worse conclusions. It could have been a coinicidence. It will be hard to figure out what else could be wrong. You'll have to try a lot of different methods of calming her down so that you can get to the root of the problem. Let me know how things go! Good luck!

Audra said...

Jovie would get too much foremilk and have explosive poos! And they were more green. Poop tells ya a lot too!