Monday, November 10, 2008

Our Mcdonalds experience

It has been very cold and rainy here, so Lily hasn't spent much time outside. This was driving her nuts so the other day we took her to McDonalds to play in the playplace (one of her favorite activites even though this was only the 3rd time we have gone) So, we got there and there was only one family there and they weren't sitting in the play area so we figured we had the playplace to ourselves. Boy were we wrong. There were 4 very loud and rude young kids in there, without any parents in the area (they were the ones sitting in the corner of the actual restaurant, completely our of view of the playplace in order to ignore their children) This of course annoyed me, but Lily and I continued to play anyway.
Thats when something unimaginable in my mind happened. One little girl had an accident in the slide. She was crying and just standing there looking for help.One of the older kids ran and told the parents (the grandparents were there too) and not a single adult moved! By this time another family had come and some of the kid accidentally ran into the pee, and yet still no adult budged. eventually the oldest girl (probably about 8) was instructed to get the little girl, put on her shoes and bring her to the parents. Once she got there her parents completely ignored her for another 10 minutes while they sipped at their mostly empty drinks and chatted. We of course thought this was very rude. They did not even tell anyone and continued to let other children play in the pee (I warned other families as they entered, so that no other children get wet)
As we let seth confronted them. He basically just said shame on you for not helping your child and left.
Am I overreacting or is this just terrible. It completely ruined Lily's fun of course because she couldn't go back into the play place and that was the only reason we ever eat there. Anyway I hope that I never ignore my children like that.

9 comments:

Ashley said...

That's disgusting! Seriously, they needed to take the responsibility and clean it up or tell the manager. Sometimes it's embarrassing when your kid has an accident, but you have to deal with it. And the fact that they weren't even in the playplace area with their children is so incredibly wrong. Sometimes I feel like I'm neglecting my kids but parents like this make me feel better :)

Christie said...

I would have told the manager once I saw they weren't going to. I also would have pointed out which family it was.

lindsey said...

Oh i told that manager as soon as i realized the parents weren't doing so. My run-on sentences probably made it sound differently. ;)

Audra said...

Ick. Yuck... come one people... clean up your kid for pete's sake... and the pee.

Bob, Dad and Grandpa said...

I deal with these neglected kids when they get in high school. They are a mess. Then when they get in trouble, the parents want to tell us how to run the school.

James said...

I get these kids next. Then the parents want to tell us how to run things here.

Wait, they are, through the knee-jerk legislature. No wonder we're FUBAR after 20 months of "reform."

Anna said...

Oh my gosh I would've called CPS for abandoned children, and yelled at the parents. That is horrible, awful behavior. The kids aren't to blame its the bad parents.

On the other hand maybe the parents were considering divorce and the grandparents were really the bishop and wife and he was trying to help and the parents weren't actually listening to the kids.
.. still...

Sabina said...

I think is horrible how some people pay more attention to ther dogs when they take them for a walk than their own kids

Grandma in the middle said...

something like that is why i left my old school. Parents don't seem to want to be responsible for their children. Most of my teacher friends feel it's a shame that you have to take a test for almost anything in this world except to be a parent! And so many parents just want their kids to like them and be their friend rather than teach them anything. I'm with Ashley. My kids aren't perfect, I made a lot of mistakes raising them, but they are great adults and are raising wonderful grandchildren for me! And I have such wonderful nieces and nephews, too. Thanks guys and thanks to my parents for raising all of us to care about others!